How to Track Inventory in Shopify in 7 Easy Steps
Managing and tracking your inventory is an essential part of running any successful store. Discover how to set up inventory tracking in your Shopify store.
Updated July 27, 2023.
Conducting Shopify inventory management can be done through your Shopify dashboard without the use of external apps. Although multi-channel inventory management can become complicated, tracking your inventory in a single store can easily be done through a built-in system.
Follow the seven easy steps below to set up inventory tracking in your Shopify store.
How to Set Up Inventory Tracking in Shopify
- Log in to your Shopify admin and navigate to Products.
- Select the product that you want to track. If the product has variants, then select the relevant variant. For example, if you sell a shirt with different colors, navigate to the Variants section and select Edit to access the specific variant product page.
- On the product page, navigate to the Inventory section.
- In the Inventory section, locate the Inventory policy.
- Select Track this product's quantity.
- Navigate to the Quantity section to enter the quantity you have in stock of the item.
- Click Save.
Without a streamlined inventory tracking system, you'll struggle to scale your business. Using Shopify's built-in inventory management system is a free and simple way to keep track of your items.
That said, when your Shopify store scales, you may want to look into an automated inventory management system to take care of it for you.