How Do You Change the Default "Sort by" Option in Shopify?
Learn how to sort products in Shopify by changing the default "Sort by" option to showcase your products your way.
Updated July 4, 2023.
Learning how to sort products in Shopify can help you customize your store's display and better organize your products to highlight your bestsellers. Changing the default "Sort by" option is one way to achieve this and showcase your products your way—and you can find the steps for doing so below.
Is There More Than One "Sort by" Option in Shopify?
As a Shopify seller, you can sort your products in several different ways, including:
- Manual order selection
- Best-selling products
- Price: highest to lowest
- Price: lowest to highest
- Alphabetical order
- Reverse alphabetical order
- Newest to oldest
- Oldest to newest
Step-by-Step Guide to Change Your Default Sorting Options
On most Shopify themes, the default alphabetical sorting order is applied to any collection you add. However, this sorting option may not suit your shop if it requires a more user-friendly display of featured or best-selling products first. Here's what you need to do to change your sorting settings.
1. Change the Sort Order for the Products in a Collection
- From your Shopify admin panel, go to Products > Collections.
- Select a collection.
- Under the Products section, click the drop-down list beside Sort and select your preferred sort-by order.
- When selecting Manually, you simply click and drag the products in the list to reorder them.
- Another option is to click and select one or more products in the list. Select Move to reorder them into the desired position within the collection.
» Expanding your collection? Learn how to group and add new products to your Shopify collections
Automatically Sort and Organize Products in Collections
By creating precise sorting rules, you can automate your online merchandising tasks to improve sales and save time.
- Customize sorting rules for each collection based on product type.
- Use tags to organize your products and sort them in a specific order.
- Add featured products to the top of collections either manually or automatically.
2. Change the Default Sorting Option on the Products Page
- Create a new collection and change the title to All.
- Under collection type, select Automated.
- For Products must match, select All conditions.
- Set Product Price to is greater than 0.
- Click Save.
This process will automatically apply to all the products in your Shopify store.
» Here's how to add a product to a Shopify page
3. Remove the "Sort by" Drop-Down Menu
- Go to the Theme editor.
- In the theme preview, click Collections on the drop-down menu from the search bar.
- In the theme editor, click on Product Grid in the Template section.
- Scroll down and uncheck Enable Sorting.
- Click Save.
Bringing Your Product Sorting to Order
Considering the right sorting method for your inventory is crucial for displaying your merchandise in the best light. For example, if you're a fashion retailer, you may find that sorting your products by release date works better for your store than sticking to the default sorting option.
Luckily, by trying out some of the techniques above, you can optimize your store's product display and boost your bottom line. What's more, you can rely on Egnition's Bestsellers reSort app for even more customization options.
Check out how it can help you create precise sorting rules that best fit your business: