How Many Products Should I Start Selling on Shopify With?
Have you just started selling on Shopify and are wondering how many products to sell? Discover optimal product count for Shopify success with our Bestseller Resort app.
Updated August 25, 2023.
When starting on Shopify, knowing how many products you should stock isn't easy. You don't want to overwhelm your customers with too many choices, but you also want to ensure you offer them enough variety. So, how much inventory should an online retail store carry?
In the best-case scenario, 10 to 20 products are a good choice.
Factors to Consider When Starting to Sell Products on Shopify
We know every Shopify store is unique, so here are a few tips to help you decide for yourself how many products to start with when launching your Shopify store:
- Industry niche: Some niches may be more competitive than others, so you might need to carry more products to compete.
- Type of store: A B2B Shopify store may need to stock a different range of products than a B2C-focused online store.
- Inventory costs: If your inventory costs are high, it may be more economical if you stock a limited amount of products only.
- Turnover: The higher your inventory turnover is, the more products you'll have to stock.
Finding Your Perfect Product Count With the Right Shopify App
There is no hard set of rules you should follow when determining the right starting inventory for a small business. In all honesty, it will take time to find the right levels as you start conducting business. You may find that a certain product category is more popular and you would like to expand it, or that you'll carry certain products for certain seasons only because they're not in demand otherwise.
The right Shopify app can help you manage all aspects related to your products. Bestsellers reSort allows you to:
- Automate your product sorting on your Shopify store with custom rules
- Sort products according to sales, dates, views, and more
- Analyze product performance via daily reports
» Read the following Bestsellers reSort review to learn more about this handy app